Rick,

What Nathan and others have conculuded from the information you provided
that is that the program you running is trying to create a hard-linked
file across mount points, you can not do this, you can only create
soft-links across mount points.

I am guessing that when you built your Gentoo system, you most likely
made the descision create mount points like /, /usr, /home, etc, where
your Caldera system made the decsions for you and put everthing on /.

If you do a 'df' on your Gentoo system and if the source directory and
the destination directory fall on different lines then you can not
create use hard-links 'ln', you need to use sof-links 'ln -s'

HTH,
Steve