On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 08:39, Josh Helmer wrote:
> Be careful with Toshiba laptops.  Getting my Toshiba Satellite 5005-507S
> working under linux was a big pain in the ass.  I tried Redhat, Mandrake and
> finally settled on gentoo before I could get it working reasonably well.
> Even now, I can't use any of the gentoo kernel-sources ebuilds.  Instead I
> had to download clean kernel sources from kernel.org and the appropriate
> patches to fix the issues (primarily ACPI,  and sound.  I still have this
> wierd thing where I have to re-configure the touchpad for X everytime I boot
> to a new kernel).
>
> Josh

Well thats probably true for Toshiba laptops with the funky Phoneix
BIOS. But most Toshiba's I have seen with the Toshiba BIOS have had no
problems. I am typing this right now on a Toshiba Satellite pro 6100 and
everything works, have not used the modem since I have no use for it. I
did have to use the noacpi option during the inital boot to install the
system. Sound work great, all docs say it's a Yamaha sound chip when
it's acualy Intel i810 (discovered with lspci -v).

Jayson Garrell