On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 16:25, Juri Haberland wrote:

> Actually, if you really think about it, it neither is in Windows. Last
> time I installed one, I had to go to Macromedia (Flash), Adobe
> (Acrobat-Reader), Apple (Quicktime), RealNetworks (Realplayer), Sun
> (Java) to get the needed plugins. Oh, yeah, and to Microsoft
> (Mediaplayer).
>
> Now, how is that different from Linux?
>
> Chust my 2 cents...
>
> Cheers,
> Juri

Juri,
   I'm not disagreeing with you on the first count, except it doesn't
work as well under Linux. (Or you can just blow me off as I freely admit
I'm just a user type who doesn't know much about software.) For
instance, I have Evolution installed and running under Gentoo, but when
I click on a mailto link on a web page Mozilla doesn't link that to
Evolution, so it's not as ready to use as my Windows installations.

   And please don't get me wrong. I have no great love of Windows. I'm
sure *someone* out there has a Linux setup that will do everything I
need. I just use it because it continues to be the most complete
platform for what I want and need to do. (And I don't even use many of
the file types you listed...)

   Certainly we have to install things in Windows to get IE to browse
all major file types. It is, however, more automatic than under Linux,
so I want to find out where I get the equivalent apps. My original
question was, as shown in the title of this thread:

"Can Linux web browsing be a complete experience?"

Is it for you? You managed a response (attitude intended or not) but you
chose to not answer the question. Can you successfully see every file
type within you browser, and link to every media type in Linux that you
want to use? I cannot. I'm asking if other people can. If you can,
please share how you do this.

   If the answer is yes, then:

1) Where do I get instructions on what I need to download to get all
these things to work in a Linux browser, preferably Mozilla unless a
reason comes up that I cannot use it. There does not seem to be a good
set of instructions on doing this on the Gentoo site.

2) Once I install them, what do I have to do to get Mozilla to work with
them. (Ala the Evolution problem.)

3) What sort of file types cannot be linked to helper apps today, for
whatever reason? I presume none, but I don't know.

   Anyway, I'm still waiting for an answer.

Cheers,
Mark