> >    Why isn't there an out-of-the-box Linux solution that's as good as
> > Windows?
>
> Actually, if you really think about it, it neither is in Windows. Last
> time I installed one, I had to go to Macromedia (Flash), Adobe
> (Acrobat-Reader), Apple (Quicktime), RealNetworks (Realplayer), Sun
> (Java) to get the needed plugins. Oh, yeah, and to Microsoft
> (Mediaplayer).

Yes, and no.  In windows it seems a little nicer because it's a lot
better (IMHO) about installing the plugins... you get a prompt saying
"hey, install xyz", you click ok, it grinds for a few minutes, goes
through an install wizard, and then you go back to the original window
and voila! it's there and working.

I admit that mozilla/mozillafirebird is a lot better in this respect now
though.  You no longer have to restart moz to get plugins recognized,
simply copy the files into your plugins dir and reload and they work.

As to answer the original question, no, I don't think that the browsing
experience is quite as good in linux (yet), and while there are
solutions (ximian desktop 2 is a very nice out of the box experience,
and redhat 8/9 weren't all that bad) it's not everywhere.

First of all, gentoo is by no means an end user distro.  No offense, but
if you don't expect to have to get your hands dirty you're using the
wrong distro (for now anyway).  Don't get me wrong, I love gentoo, but
part of the reason I love it is because it *isn't* a end user distro.  I
like getting my hands dirty, and I think a lot of the other people on
the list do as well.  However, that's not to say that doing an "emerge
gnome" *shouldn't* get everything set up and configured for you.

A couple of other things that are against linux in the whole "out of the
box" experience in general.  First of all while macromedia has indeed
"sold their soul to the devil", so have most of the other companies, but
the important ones (flash, pdfs, java, etc) do work.  Another thing is
because linux is a multi-user system as compared to XP (much as they'd
like to show different), you can't just install the acrobat reader
plugin as a user, you still have to SU to root, emerge the plugin or run
the file, wait for it to finish, and then go back to your user.  Mac
OS/X seems to have it right with running as a user with SU privileges
all the time and then popping up a "please enter your user password"
whenever a program needs to be installed.  Not running as root, but
running close enough to it that you can tasks like installing software
much easier. I wish linux was a bit more like this.  I am very used to
popping up a root shell when I need to do things, but I don't think I
should *have* to do this.  I know the gnome people are talking about how
to get a "root password asker" program set up for gnome, but there seems
to be all sorts of debate about how to get it to work in all situations,
in all architectures, and on all OSs that support GNOME... then it's
left for another 6 months before someone askes the question again and it
starts all over again, with no visible (that I can see) result.  Redhat
has a little applet that does this and allows you to run some of their
apps for installing software or reconfiguring and it seems to work
nicely, but because something like say, the flash installer program
doesn't understand this, it doesn't ask and you end up having to drop to
a root shell anyway.

/rant

Regards,

alan