> Mac
> OS/X seems to have it right with running as a user with SU privileges
> all the time and then popping up a "please enter your user password"
> whenever a program needs to be installed.  Not running as root, but
> running close enough to it that you can tasks like installing software
> much easier. I wish linux was a bit more like this.

I was thinking more along the lines of running everyone as a normal
users in the wheel group, but having linux automatically pop up
something like the excellent (IMO) kdesu every time it needs root
permissions for something, with a big fat warning sign on it and the
text flashing in super-ugly red (WARNING: THIS MIGHT BE A VIRUS, AND IF
IT IS AND YOU ENTER THE PASSWORD NOW, YOU'RE SCREWED).
As for plugins, even better: Why not make a "mozilla admin" user? Then,
if someone wants to install a plugin, they give that password, and you
don't have to tell all of the users on your PC the root password. That'd
work great for home systems. (Sign: If Mozilla asks you for an
administrator password, it is MKB838741. But don't worry, if we get
virii like this they'll only screw up Mozilla).

--
Tactless

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature.