Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> instance, I have Evolution installed and running under Gentoo, but when
> I click on a mailto link on a web page Mozilla doesn't link that to
> Evolution, so it's not as ready to use as my Windows installations.

Ok, here I have to admit that I don't know either how to tell Mozilla to
use a different MUA than it's own. Maybe it's some obscure option in
~/.mozilla/default/<bla>/prefs.js.
Is it actually doable in Windows (I'm not talking about IE, Mozilla)?

>    Certainly we have to install things in Windows to get IE to browse
> all major file types. It is, however, more automatic than under Linux,
> so I want to find out where I get the equivalent apps. My original
> question was, as shown in the title of this thread:
>
> "Can Linux web browsing be a complete experience?"
>
> Is it for you? You managed a response (attitude intended or not) but you
> chose to not answer the question. Can you successfully see every file

Well, I stumbled about your claim of an 'out-of-the-box' solution, which
there is neither on Linux nor on Windows.
(but let's not get too picky - I didn't mean to be offensive)

> type within you browser, and link to every media type in Linux that you
> want to use? I cannot. I'm asking if other people can. If you can,
> please share how you do this.

Ok, so let me say it like this:
Yes, I'm quite happy with browsing. There are certainly sites that don't
display well because they are tailored towards IE - not much you can do
about that, I'm afraid.
There are obscure plugins that don't exist for Linux - see above.
But the major ones are all available and if there isn't an ebuild for
that, than you have to download it from the specific web site and install
it manually.

Please don't get me wrong, but you don't come up with a
specific problem (besides Evolution). You ask 'can it be?' and I say
'yes, for me it is'. Furthermore it is not clear to me, e.g. if you
already have installed Java and it's not always working the way it
should or if it's not working at all or not even installed.
Flash is available, even as ebuild, as another person wrote.

So, what exactly are you missing? If you answer this question, me and
others can actually help you.

As a starting point: have a look at plugger, which is a Mozilla plugin
that can link nearly any file type to a program of your choice. It comes
with reasonable defaults. As video application I recommend mplayer, for
sound xmms. There's even a special Mozilla plugin for mplayer, but I
don't know how usable it is.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Juri

P.S.: I don't use Gentoo for desktop stuff - yet. Currently it's RedHat
(7.3), but that will change.

--
Juri Haberland  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>