On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:29:08PM +0100, MAL wrote:
> Ohad Lutzky wrote:
> >NAT... that term is new to me, but I've seen it on VMWare. I'm guessing
> >that it means Network Address Translation. I can see that the Linksys
> >routers can do it. So that basically means that on the internet, only
> >the router will be seen, but it'll look as if it's running an FTP
> >server? And why will this have to be active FTP? If the port is
> >forwarded directly, won't it work just like it used to?
> >And what of port 80, and the other regular-use ports? Surely I'll want
> >several machines using those at the same time... how will that work?
>
> Second point first... if you have several machines running a webserver
> on port 80, you'll have to choose a different port on your router to map
> to each. (one can use 80 of course).  If you want each machine to be
> visible on port 80, either get separate IPs for each machine, (more
> expense/different ISP service), or combine them all into one webserver
> running virtual domains.  Same with all other single port protocols,
> (SSH, IRC, Telnet, SMTP, etc.).  FTP however, is different.

Makes sense. So what I'm looking at is making it seem to the outside
world like I'm running just one PC (and I certainly wouldn't have two
daemons running on the same port on one PC).

> Due to the age of FTP, it was designed with a different philosophy to
> single port networking approaches.
> When you connect to an FTP server, (on port 21 usually.. unless the
> server has chosen to use a different 'control' port), you speak plain
> text to it.  Once you are ready to recieve a listing of files, you tell
> the server your IP, and a local port you have opened for it to connect
> to, (varies from connect to connect, but usually around the 32000+
> range).  The FTP server then connects to that port on your machine, and
> sends you data.
>
> This is Active mode FTP.
>
> Passive FTP, works in a similar way, but instead of you telling the
> server where it can stick it's data, the server will tell you to connect
> to it and will let you know what port.  Again, this is a dynamic port
> and usually a FTP server will have a specific range that it will use.

That explains a lot of problems I had with my old ISPs. We didn't get
external IPs back then, so we had to use passive FTP (as clients).

> So, if your ftp server allows you to specify the range of ports it can
> use for passive ftp, then you should be able to tell your router to
> forward that range of ports to your FTP server machine, thereby enabling
> passive FTP.

I don't think that would be much of a problem. Worst case, I can run my
machine on DMZ (de-militarized zone), so it gets all of the ports.

> Hope that explains it enough for you.

Sure does. You've been more helpful than an hour of TechTV! :)
Thanks for putting up with me. Now I just need some cash...

--
Tactless

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature.