--- Ohad Lutzky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:27:34AM -0700, Gëzim
> Hoxha wrote:
>
> > > And last but not least: How much [more] will it
> > > cost?
> >
> > I got a rounter for $29.95 (Canadian)!! It's not
> > expensieve :)
>
> That really sounds cheap. Was it a linksys? If not,
> what interface do
> you use to configure it? (Please say web, I love web
> interfaces! :) )

It's a NetGear, and I think I can use the web
interface to configure it (just type the ip that it
gives you in konqueror).
Oh, I haven't had time to set it up yet :) but from
the manual it didn't sound to hard.  Also it's
supposed to have a built in switch!

> > Also to learn more about how this stuffworks go
> to:
> > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router.htm
> > and when you get there if you wanna know about
> > switches just search for them; is a great site ;)
>
> It certainly is. Thanks for the tip! I've never
> thought of looking
> there.

You're welcome, glad I could help :) [don't get to say
that often]

> Here's what I understand so far: In the setup I've
> seen, where two PCs
> are connected over a switch to a modem, it isn't
> really a "network" -
> the PCs can only talk to the modem one at a time,
> and it works as if the
> PC was connected directly. Not good for my purpose.
> However, if you stick a router between the switch
> and the modem (or get
> a router that has a builtin switch), you basically
> have a simple
> network, in which the computers can communicate with
> each other
> directly, and can talk to the modem (indirectly) at
> the same time.
> That still leaves me with some interal/external IP
> questions:
>
> I have an FTP server running on this box, and I'd
> still like people
> outside to be able to reach it. Will outside
> computers still be able to
> communicate directly with mine? How will they
> distinguish between them?

This I have no idea :(
But I'd like to know to coz I wanna run a web server.