On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:16:07PM +0100, MAL wrote:

> On your router, you will be able to point certain ports to certain
> machines on the LAN.
> Unless your router has some clever programs installed on it, people will
> need to use active FTP to connect to your server, (ie. not passive ftp).
>  All you need to do is forward port 21 on the router, to port 21 on
> your PC.
>
> Note: you will need to get a router that can do NAT.

NAT... that term is new to me, but I've seen it on VMWare. I'm guessing
that it means Network Address Translation. I can see that the Linksys
routers can do it. So that basically means that on the internet, only
the router will be seen, but it'll look as if it's running an FTP
server? And why will this have to be active FTP? If the port is
forwarded directly, won't it work just like it used to?
And what of port 80, and the other regular-use ports? Surely I'll want
several machines using those at the same time... how will that work?

Sorry I'm being so annoying... I hate it when I do something with my
computer that I don't understand 100%.

--
Tactless

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature.