On Tuesday 01 July 2003 13:19, Dan Fairs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I was visiting a (german) police station a few weeks ago. They use
> > GNU/Linux with the windowmaker WM, I guess SuSE is their flavor. I
> > asked the
>
> That's an interesting point. I keep reading that Europe is ahead of
> the US in Linux adoption, and the Far East and Asia are ahead of
> both. Does anyone have evidence to corroborate that?

The Turku city just decided to convert about 60% of their desktop
machines to Linux and upgrade the 40% to Win XP from Win 9x.

> Public sector adoption in particular is interesting. Here in the UK,
> it looks like the government are a Microsoft shop, with the
> Government Gateway and all. Has anyone been involved in a Gentoo
> deployment in the public sector?

I think Gentoo would be good candidate for public sector, because it
could be tailored so that the system contains only the necessary parts,
thus giving longer life time to the systems. The only down side is that
there is not enough qualified peoples in the providing companies, who
can take it in use in the public sector deliveries.