Did you mount /boot before you copied the kernel? It's hard to debug this
because you haven't given us much information. What do you mean, "all show
up in dmesg"? The exact output would be useful.
What do you mean, "the modules are not available"? There's no reason that
modules should not be found, unless you're running a different version of
the kernel than you installed the modules for. What does uname -a give you?
Is it the right compile time? What kernel source are you using now?

-Heschi