Hi,

I emerge some ebuilds yesterday, and then i got a warning that I
should run etc-update to merge some files.

I used the "-5" option which automaticall merge the files,
and it seems it deleted some of my config files such
as /etc/fstab.
The result is that I cannot boot gentoo anymore. Pretty bad...

I guess i missed something with the use of etc-update.
How should we use that tool?

Hopefully i can boot a different version of linux and access to my config file for gentoo by mounting the partitions. I tried to recreate my /etc/fstab but my system cannot boot. It complains with the something like:

Mount proc at /proc
The "mount' command failed
line 14 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mnent] line 15 in /etc/fstab is bad

Note 1. I commented the line /dev/hda1 but if i uncomment it
i get the same problem.
Note 2. My gentoo is installed on my disk /dev/hdb, but lilo
is on hda1-- hda is the disk where i have my other version
of linux. it worked welll before I got this problem with etc-update.

My /etc/fstab seems OK to me:

-------------------------------------
:53 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
#/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto, noatime 1 2
/dev/hdb2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdb3 / reiserfs noatime, notail 1 0 <- This is line 14
/dev/hdb5 /usr reiserfs noatime, notail 1 0
/dev/hdb6 /var reiserfs noatime, notail 1 0
/dev/hdb7 /home reiserfs noatime, notail 1 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none            /proc   proc            defaults        0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none            /dev/sh tmpfs           defaults        0 0

Can the problem be somewhere else-- maybe another config file has been replaced after I ran etc-update?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

S.