On Saturday 02 August 2003 15:23, Stephane Brossier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I emerge some ebuilds yesterday, and then i got a warning that I
> should run etc-update to merge some files.
>
> I used the "-5" option which automaticall merge the files,
> and it seems it deleted some of my config files such
> as /etc/fstab.

One of my questions about etc-update and portage is, why etc-update /
portage even consider critical files like /etc/fstab for a update?

It seems to me that files like this should never be considered for upgrades
because they are static in nature, only need to be set up once, and if
changes do need to be made it is because the admin of the box has changed
the hardware configuration.

Reminds me of the saying "To error is human.  To really F*** Up you need a
computer."