Op zaterdag 2 augustus 2003 22:23, schreef Stephane Brossier:

> I used the "-5" option which automaticall merge the files,
> and it seems it deleted some of my config files such
> as /etc/fstab.
> The result is that I cannot boot gentoo anymore. Pretty bad...

I always use the -3 option. Lots of configfiles I have never touched, so they
can be replaces safely (I think :-) ). When neccesary I go to another console
(ctrl-alt-F2) to make a copy of the file that will be replaced.
I could not find any merge option in env-update :-(. It would be nice if there
is one, that merges the old config with the new one. Anybody?

> Hopefully i can boot a different version of linux and access
> to my config file for gentoo by mounting the partitions.

Or you can start with the gentoo life cd, mount the partition and edit fstab.
Make a bootable cd with lilo in case it happens again :-)

--Kees