On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:26:07PM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> William Hubbs wrote:
> >From emerge --help, I got the following:
> >

> >       --deep (-D short option)
> >              When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces
> >              emerge
> >              to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead
> >              of
> >              checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages.
> >              As an
> >              example, this catches updates in libraries that are not
> >              directly
> >              listed in the dependencies of a package.
> >
> >                       This tells me that if I do an emerge -uD world it
> >                       will take care of all packages and all
> >                       dependencies that need to be updated.  That is
> >                       what I have been doing and had no problems.  In
> >                       other words, I don't see the need for your second
> >                       command at all.
> >
> >                       Have I missed something?  If so, let me know.
>
> Yes.  You've missed the entire point of my post just like the other
> an option be added to take care of all packages.   You'll also see that
> I'm already aware of the deep option since I've utilised it in my
> original message.  Thanks for feedback nevertheless.

Here is an addition to this.

I just ran your commands, and the only packages that were omitted by --deep were
net-ftp/ftp and sys-apps/netkit-base.

As I recall, these were part of the system profile at one time, but they have been
removed.

Is it possible that the qpkg -I -nc command is catching orphaned packages which are
not in the world file, system profile, and are not a dependency of anything in either
place?  If that is the case, why would you need a package that is in that category?
Or should a package in that category be added to the world file?

William