Erik Ordway wrote:
I think that there is a significant difference between "Updating all installed packages" and "... all packages and all dependencies that need to be updated.."

I may be wrong but the first says update and rebuild any thing on the system that can be updated and the second says update anything in the world file and anything they depend on no matter how remotely. The first catches everything on the system and the second 'may' not.

That's absolutely right and is the precise distinction I'm making here.