You haven't made a mistake.  You can name them anything you want so long as
the lilo.conf or grub conf files have the right name.  Distros like Caldera
used vmlinuz for the kernel name, Gentoo has bzImage.  I name mine
vmlinuz-2.4.20-XFS for example or vmlinuz-2.4.20-XFS-test - it helps me keep
them straight.  However, LILO or Grub has to know about them.  My
/etc/lilo.conf has three enteries

Gentoo  boots vmlinuz-2.4.20-XFS
Test boots vmlinuz-2.2.20-XFS
Memtest boots memtest/memtest.bin

What happens is a kernel build creates bzImage in the /usr/src/linux
directory tree.   Then the docs tell you to copy it to /boot.  I copy and
rename it because I like vmlinuz.  The name makes no difference.  As far as
Gentoo goes - at least the last builds I did - the kernel wasn't copied but
if it is feel free to rename it.  However, I don't mount /boot until I'm
ready to copy to it.

When the kernel is built the System.map file is also built.  If you want copy
it to /boot too.  It provides symbols for debuggin.  I've run with a
System.map that was built several kernel builds ago - however, I don't do
debugging <G>

All you need is the bzImage (or whatever you call it) and to tell LILO or
Grub about it and you can boot.

Many of the rest of the files come from LILO or grub