On Tuesday 16 September 2003 05:26, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> Gentoo kernels create /proc/config which is the contents of the
> config file used to generate the kernel.  Even if you wipe out your
> kernel tree you can just copy /proc/config to .config in a new kernel
> tree and you can reproduce the running kernel.

Not always. One have to select support for /proc/ and that one wants the
used config support to be compiled in the kernel.

The first is met by almost anybody's kernel, but the second might be
missing, because it takes quite a bit unnecessary space (at least quite
many people thinks in this way).
I though have always used that, because through that I don't need to
look up the options that I didn't turn on. ;)