Dane,

If you read the man page for hdparm, you may find an option about how to
make the parameters 'stick' to the disk in question. (I'm not in front of
any Linux or UNIX system right now, so cannot give you the details.)

Once you feel comfortable that your system is absolutely stable with the
hdparm's settings you set at each bootup, you may run hdparm interactively
and set all the settings you are happy with, *including* the parameter to
make the setting 'sticky'.

>From that point, you do not need to run the hdparm 'service' at bootup or
shutdown any more and you may remove it from your runlevel(s).

Biker

                      Dane Elwell

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .net>                    cc:       (bcc: Gustav
Schaffter/CDS/CG/CAPITAL)
                                               Subject:  [gentoo-user] DMA messages at
bootup
                      22-09-2003 12:02

                      Please respond to

                      gentoo-user

Hey.

When I boot up my computer, fsck.reiser loves to give me that little
asterisked box telling me that DMA is not enabled on my hard drives.
However, a few seconds later in the boot process, hdparm is started and
enables DMA on all my drives.

I've tried everything to get this to go away:

 - I've added /etc/init.d/hdparm to the boot runlevel, but this still only
enables DMA after those messages.

 - I've made sure, many times, that I've got the correct options turned on
in my kernel:

[*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
   [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support (NEW)
   [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support (NEW)
   [ ]     Boot off-board chipsets first support (NEW)
   [ ]       Force enable legacy 2.0.X HOSTS to use DMA (NEW)
   [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available (NEW)
[*]     SiS5513 chipset support

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS645DX Host &
Memory & AGP Controller
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual
PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media
IO] (rev 04)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
[etc...]

I always seem to miss the obvious, so can someone point out what I'm doing
wrong please? ;)