>From my original email:

        I've tried everything to get this to go away:

        - I've added /etc/init.d/hdparm to the boot runlevel, but this still only
enables DMA after those messages.

        - I've made sure, many times, that I've got the correct options turned on in
my kernel:

        [*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
           [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support (NEW)
           [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support (NEW)
           [ ]     Boot off-board chipsets first support (NEW)
           [ ]       Force enable legacy 2.0.X HOSTS to use DMA (NEW)
           [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available (NEW)
        [*]     SiS5513 chipset support