Tom Wesley wrote:
On Monday 22 September 2003 21:14, Paulo da Silva wrote:

gpgkeys: WARNING: this is an *experimental* HKP interface!
gpgkeys: key 6F2B085769F79F87 not found on keyserver

Dane Elwell wrote:
|Hey.
|
|When I boot up my computer, fsck.reiser loves to give me that little

asterisked box telling me that DMA is not enabled on my hard drives.
However, a few seconds later in the boot process, hdparm is started and
enables DMA on all my drives.

Try regenerate the kernel with the option "Use dma when possible" or
something like this. I don't remember were is it, but it's easy to find.
This worked for me.

Also, if that is already ticked (I believe it is default?) try adding support for your motherboards IDE chip.

If you read his original email, he shows you what he selected, and his selections are fine.

Please, all of you, take note:

The -k parameter to hdparm, _does not keep the settings over a reboot_.

A 'reset' as it says in the man page, is when the IDE bus is reset, because an IDE error occurs. You wouldn't even notice this, if it didn't print the respective errors on the system console or in the kernel log.

There is no way for the linux kernel to 'remember' your IDE settings, so they must be set, on boot, by hdparm. Which is why there is an init script on your systems for hdparm.

Setting the -k flag to 1 is not necessarily a good idea. With this set, whenever an error occurs on your IDE bus, (such as a UDMA33 hard drive trying to run at UDMA66), the kernel will simply retry and fail again.
With the -k switch set to 0, the IDE settings will revert to a 'safe' selection, (ie. DMA disabled, 32 bit mode disabled), when an error ocurrs and then there is a much higher chance that the bus will work again. At which point you can diagnose the problem and fix it.

Edit /etc/conf.d/hdparm to specify your settings, _not_ /etc/init.d/hdparm

From my experience, safe parameters are:

-d1 -u1 -c1

Most modern hardware, (<2 years old), should not have a problem with this. For anything older, I suggest you try those, and if you encounter IDE resets, change them to:

-d1 -u0 -c3

This will result in very little performance loss, but fixes most problematic machines i've come accross.

Cheers all,
MAL