Hi Jason,

Jason Stubbs wrote:

- snip -

Hmmm. I must misunderstand something. I've been doing emerge -f
"packagexxx" and it downloads the source file and deps to
/usr/portage/distfiles. Then I do emerge -k "packagexxx" and it then
compiles the source package and any deps.

I use -f because I'm on 56k dialup- it's slow, but it works.

-f download files required to compile/install -k install from packages or compile/install from source if no package exists -K install from packages or skip if no package exists

Portage's functionality has been extended to allow downloading prebuilt packages from mirrors but there are no mirrors hosting such packages at this stage.

Kindly advise whether there are no precompile KDE and X-free available on Gentoo and its mirror sites.

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen