On Friday 17 October 2003 08:44, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> ><SNIP>
> >
> >># emerge - xfree
> >>and
> >># emerge -k kde
> >>running without end.  Finally I force-rebooted the PC.
> >
> >did you actually reboot (with CD1 removed) to get your system started up
> >correctly???
> >
> >cos what you've described sounds like you were still in the chrooted
> >environment immediately after compiling the kernel etc.
>
> Now I redo
> # emerge -k xfree
> starting at 07:30 pm leaving the PC there running.  I went to check it
> at 12:30 pm (midnight).  It was still running.  This morning at 07:05 am
> I went to check it again and found finished with following lines at the
> end;

> * Listening on tcp is disabled by default with startx
> * To enable it, edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
>  >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.chache...
>  >>> x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3 merged.
>  >>> Recording x11-base/xfree in "world" favorites file....
>  >>> clean: No packages selected for removal
>  >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>  >>> Autocleaning packages....
>  >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
>
> * GNU info directory index is up-to-date
>
> # startx
> -bash: startx: command not found
>
> # which startx
> which: no startx in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin: ..........)
>
> # whereis startx
> startx: /usr/X11R6/bin/startx  /usr/bin/X11/startx
>
> Tried
> # /usr/bin/X11/startx
> /usr/bin/X11/startx/line: line 112: xauth: command not found
> /usr/bin/X11/startx/line: line 113: xauth: command not found
> /usr/bin/X11/startx: line 151: xinit: command not found
> /usr/bin/X11/startx/line: line 1: xauth: command not found
>
> # /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> same outcome
>
> x window could not start

It seems that /usr/X11R6/bin is not in root's path. Did you log on at a
console as a regular user and then su to root? If you did, that would explain
the missing path.

> Remark: please advise what command will be issued to print screen and
> save its content to a file, rather than typing it here avoiding typing
> mistake.  Thanks

Use tee when emerging.

> I shall continue later
> # emerge -k kde
> having no idea how long it will take.

If all the packages are availale, it shouldn't take too long. Otherwise it
could easily take as long as 24 hours.

Jason