From: Stephen Liu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 11:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package installation question

Hi Jon,

If you know the name of the package, have a look in

/usr/portage with

find, e.g.

cd /usr/portage
find . -name 'rolo' -maxdepth 2
find . -name 'openoffice*' -maxdepth 2

Alternatively, have a trawl through the online package

listing on the

gentoo website.

Or try
emerge search <name>
e.g.
emerge search kde

Broadband connected
# emerge search kde > /tmp/kde-search

(kde-search is attached to this posting)

- snip -

check the results, then do the same without the -p. Then

go home for

the weekend. You never know, it might be done!

Just installed gentoo and from the base install it took

about a day to

compile and install kde (including all it's dependencies like XFree86). This is on an Athlon 1.3

Noted with thanks

B.R.
Stephen