On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:37:32AM +0000, Hall Stevenson wrote:

> It's almost a fact that most distros lean towards either Gnome or KDE. I tried
> KDE a year ago with Debian and was pretty impressed. Then again, this may
> have been because of Debian's very slow updates to Gnome 2.2. I guess I just
> wanted something different.

Been there, done that on both counts.  I've often tried a different
desktop environment, been impressed with the new eye candy or features
for a bit, and then gone back to my favorite because the new one has
things that I either just don't like or is missing features.  Been about
a year since I first discovered gentoo as well, but I remember that with
debian you had to add lots of different apt-sources lines to get the
latest and greatest of things.

> What do people think ?? I know it's *my* choice, of course. If I decide to
> switch, how do I do so and get the LATEST gnome stuff available ?? I'm not
> afraid of running "unstable", which I believe is the "-x86" flagged stuff.

Gnome 2.4 is in portage, and was put there probably less than a week
after it was released.  The impression I get from the gentoo people is
that both gnome and kde "camps" have equally dedicated people working in
them to get the latest packages stable and out the door.  They don't lag
nearly as much as debian but don't seem (that I've seen anyway) to have
big ugly bugs resulting from putting stuff out the door too quickly.

Personally what I do is if something isn't released soon enough I either
put on ~86 for that package or do an emerge of the .ebuild file that I'm
wanting.  Portage makes it easy to revert and move back and forth
between versions without too many ugly remnants of old packages.

> Also, how would I "purge" all KDE stuff ?? I do like Konqueror and KMail. Are
> static-linked packages available for those ??

Check the list archives and forums, I know there are cute one liners for
doing this but I don't remember them now.  "emerge -epv kde" will show
you *all* of KDEs dependancies though.

As for static linked packages, do an emerge -pv for the packages and
there may be a "static" USE flag you can use.  If not you'll have to
leave qt and the kdelibs packages installed (unless someone else has
bright ideas).

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net