No, Gentoo really show's no preference in this arena which is very nice
if you asked me.  I much prefer it this way.

I use KDE on my machines since it screams on gentoo.  I have no speed
issues whatsoever with kde.  Sure, fluxbox, icewm are going to blow the
pants off of KDE or Gnome but it all depends on what you like.  If
simple is your thing then KDE might not be for you.  This is the beauty
of Linux and OSS, in that you have freedom.