On Saturday 18 October 2003 07:03 pm, Stephane Brossier wrote:
> Hi Ernie,
>
> [...]
>
> >And you won't have a /dev/sda* until you plug in the camera. Plug
> > in the camera and do:
> >fdisk -l /dev/sd and hit the tab key a couple of times. You should
> > see sda1 or maybe sdb1 If you do, do:
>
> I plugged the camera on the usb port but I don't see anything ???
>
> bash-2.05b# fdisk -l /dev/sd
> bash-2.05b#
>

> Everything seems to be OK, all my modules are loaded:
> bash-2.05b# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> usb-storage            22264   0  (unused)
> sd_mod                 11020   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> scsi_mod               89268   1  (autoclean) [usb-storage sd_mod]
> vpnmod                187808  -1  (unused)
> prism2_pci             57008   1  (autoclean)
> p80211                 17036   1  [prism2_pci]
> usbcore                56000   1  [usb-storage]
>
> However I noticed something strange, I don't know if this is
> related:
>
> I have two ide disks (hda and hdb).
> On hda I run linux-Mandrake (old version)
> and on hdb i run gentoo. (Lilo is installed on hda
> so I always boot from hda.)
> If I boot Mandrake, and if i chroot on /mnt/devhdb
> and then look under /dev I can see entries for sda*.
>
> But If I directly boot gentoo there is nothing under /dev/sda*
> anymore....
>
> Another precision (I don't know of this is relevant) but the daemon
> devfsd is running:
> root       145     1  0 15:45 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/devfsd /dev
>
> At last, I tried to use the 2 USB ports I have but it does not
> change anything...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> S.

What chipset are you running? an Nforce2 chipset uses OHCI:

$ cat /proc/config | grep HCI
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y

check kernel config for the options below:

cat /proc/config | grep SCSI
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
CONFIG_I2O_SCSI=y

And USB:

cat /proc/config | grep USB
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m

        See that you match this and if you need to recompile, do so. Reboot
if neccessary and load your modules. Do dmesg without the camera
plugged in. Plug in the camera and dmesg again and note changes. If
you still can't mount the camera send these differences back to the
list.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free