On Saturday 18 October 2003 10:05 pm, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> On Saturday 18 October 2003 07:03 pm, Stephane Brossier wrote:
> > Hi Ernie,
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >And you won't have a /dev/sda* until you plug in the camera.
> > > Plug in the camera and do:
> > >fdisk -l /dev/sd and hit the tab key a couple of times. You
> > > should see sda1 or maybe sdb1 If you do, do:
> >
> > I plugged the camera on the usb port but I don't see anything ???
> >
> > bash-2.05b# fdisk -l /dev/sd
> > bash-2.05b#
> >

> > Everything seems to be OK, all my modules are loaded:
> > bash-2.05b# lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> > usb-storage            22264   0  (unused)
> > sd_mod                 11020   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> > scsi_mod               89268   1  (autoclean) [usb-storage
> > sd_mod] vpnmod                187808  -1  (unused)
> > prism2_pci             57008   1  (autoclean)
> > p80211                 17036   1  [prism2_pci]
> > usbcore                56000   1  [usb-storage]
> >
> > However I noticed something strange, I don't know if this is
> > related:
> >
> > I have two ide disks (hda and hdb).
> > On hda I run linux-Mandrake (old version)
> > and on hdb i run gentoo. (Lilo is installed on hda
> > so I always boot from hda.)
> > If I boot Mandrake, and if i chroot on /mnt/devhdb
> > and then look under /dev I can see entries for sda*.
> >
> > But If I directly boot gentoo there is nothing under /dev/sda*
> > anymore....
> >
> > Another precision (I don't know of this is relevant) but the
> > daemon devfsd is running:
> > root       145     1  0 15:45 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/devfsd /dev
> >
> > At last, I tried to use the 2 USB ports I have but it does not
> > change anything...
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > S.

> What chipset are you running? an Nforce2 chipset uses OHCI:
>
> $ cat /proc/config | grep HCI
> CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
>
> check kernel config for the options below:
>
> cat /proc/config | grep SCSI
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
> CONFIG_SCSI=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
> CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
> CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
> CONFIG_I2O_SCSI=y
>

> And USB:
>
> cat /proc/config | grep USB
> CONFIG_USB=y
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
> CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y
> CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
> CONFIG_USB_HID=y
> CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
>

>       See that you match this and if you need to recompile, do so.
> Reboot if neccessary and load your modules. Do dmesg without the
> camera plugged in. Plug in the camera and dmesg again and note
> [...]

Here's the new info in dmesg when I plug in my card reader it will be
similar for your camera.

hub.c: new USB device 00:02.1-1, assigned address 3
  Vendor: General   Model: Flash Disk Drive  Rev: 2.05
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free