At 02:59 AM 10/20/2003, you wrote:
97% used.  What happened to the remainder?  I noticed that the file size of
/var/tmp/portage is 2.3 gigabytes and  /usr/portage is 1.5 gigs.  Can the
following files total 3.5GB (total after subtracting both portage
directories?

I deleted all the files in /var/tmp/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles over the weekend with no ill effects. I'm frugal when it comes to disk space.... :-) I'm at around 20% full on my 20gb partition and I think that's too much !! :-) Odd thing is, the percentage used didn't change at all. I guess it was taking up so little space. Then again, I don't download and install everything including the kitchen sink.

Next, I'll be using 'qpkg' to look at the installed packages I've got and remove any that I don't use.

Regards
Hall