I dont have the figures in front of me, but reliably 4 and 8 create a
slowdown, 16 is about even, whilst 32 gives a slight gain.  This is on
an athlon-tbird 1.4g.  On a p4, no flag, and 4 were the similar - havent
got as far as the rest yet.  As well as being processor dependent, I
would expect it to be application dependent.

Makes sense when you read what man gcc says.

BillK