Hello,

Gentoo Automatically created 3 accounts when I emerged "djbdns".  The following where
created:
dnscache:x:1001:200::/nonexistent:/bin/false
dnslog:x:1002:200::/nonexistent:/bin/false
tinydns:x:1003:200::/nonexistent:/bin/false

The djbdns docs wanted me to create "Gdnscache and Gdnslog" system accounts.
Confusing. Can I just
rename these accounts, delete them and then recreate, or does it matter?

I'm not new to DNS, networking and firewalling, but new to how these things are done
on Linux.
I've
read through the djbdns doc's and need a little confirmation from the linux pro's.

I have Gentoo linux installed on a PC that acts as the firewall and defaultgateway for
the other 3
pc's on my lan doing NAT and basic packet filtering. Right now the Gentoo Linux pc
dials-up to the
internet to get its ip via dialup ppp0. This connection is then shared among 4 pc's. I
know..slow
but this is all I have and it works fine for now. The ip that I get every time I
dialup is
different but the dns server ip's are inputed statically in KPPP's dialup tool. So
everytime I
dialup /ect/resolv.conf is popultated with two dns entries temporarily while dialed up.

What I ideally want if for the other 3 pc's that use the Gentoo linux box as their
default gateway
to also send their DNS requests to this box as well and then the Gentoo linux box
would do the
lookups on behalf of the client and then return the requested info to the client doing
the request
or have the requested info already cached.

Give the description above of what I'm trying to do and the choices given below from:
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html , I'm alittle confused as to which one does what I'm
trying to do.
Logically I think #5. Is this correct?

1. How to run a cache on a workstation
2. How to run a computer without a cache
3. How to run a forwarding cache on a home computer
4. How to run an external cache for your network
5. How to run an external forwarding cache

My other question is about following some of the directions listed:
1st question.
Quote:
"1. As root, create UNIX accounts named Gdnscache and Gdnslog."
Unquote:
So form the command line as root am I just creating the above "user accounts" without
passwords??

2nd question.
Quote:
"3. As root, create an /etc/dnscache service directory, with your IP address on the
end of the
line:

     dnscache-conf Gdnscache Gdnslog /etc/dnscache 10.53.0.1"
Unquote:
So from the command line i just need to create the directory "dnscache (my
ip-address)??

My example:
mkdir /etc/dnscache 192.168.1.1
This creates the dnscache directory but I don't see 192.168.1.1 referenced or
associated with the
"dnscache" directory created???

But then I'm totally confused with what the heck the following is??

dnscache-conf Gdnscache Gdnslog /etc/dnscache 10.53.0.1

Is this a command or do they want me to make "dnscache-conf", "Gdnscache" and "Gdnslog"
directories
under the /etc/dnscache ?????

The lingo or symantics used have me very confused through out this entire document? I
don't
understand what this means in laymens terms either.

Quote:
"4. If your computer is running a DHCP client to obtain a dynamically assigned IP
address from
your ISP, configure the DHCP client to make external DNS cache information available
to dnscache,
and skip to step 8."
Unquote:

Well I'm using PPP to dialup to get an ip. Sorry. I've never heard anyone use this
type of
terminology before. I have know idea what it means to configure a DHCP client to make
external DNS
cache information available to dnschache.
I know what dhcp is and does but have no clue what the author is asking here.

Sorry...totally frustrated....

Thanks,
Joshua Banks