--- Frank Tegtmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joshua Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Where are you getting this info??
>
> The info about the changes was from the README of the patch that
> changes the dnscache behaviour.
> (/usr/portage/distfiles/djbdns-1.04-fwdzone.patch)

Was this patch automatically applied when I emerged "djbdns" ?? Or is this something
that I have
to manually apply?
When I do a "qpkq -I -v" this patch isn't listed. So is it safe to assume that this
isn't applied
then??

> > I have a forwarding cache setup right now and it works like a charm.
> > It talks to one up stream dns server at the isp and works fine.
>
> The point is not *if* it works, but what consequences this
> introduces. See below.
>
> Forwarding may be necessary if your internet connection is slow, but
> even then I prefer to avoid forwarding. If you have a slow connection,
> dnscache will be a bit slow after startup but later it will typically
> have much of the requested information in its cache. Also a computer
> behind a slow connection normally does not use DNS heavily, so it will
> not add that much to bandwith use.
>
> > And why would someone not want to use forwarding? You made the
> > comment that forwarding isn't reccomended but don't say why.
>
> If you use forwarding you solely rely on the recursive dns server that
> you forward to. You rely on:
> - that it is available at all
> - that it does resolving correctly (not always given)
> - that its administrators respect your privacy and don't analyze your
>   request patterns
> - that nobody plays cache tricks to get more information about you

Wouldn't the above apply to how this is setup normally...regardless of having a
forwarding caching
 server setup internally??... I.E..clients resolvers pointing to 2 upstream dns
servers.

> > But in my case I think this is just forwarding the client dns
> > request's like normal.
>
> Your dnscache gets the client requests, they are forwarded to your
> forward server that does the resolving. The answer is the cached by
> your dnscache and given to the client.
> There is one step too much here, isn't it?

Not that I can see. Not sure what you mean.??

> > Maybe your talking about TinyDns?? NO..??
>
> No.
>
> > I installed "djbdns" strictly for the ability to act as a caching
> > server as well as a dns forwarding agent that the other pc's point
> > to when making dns requests.
>
> dnscache's primary task is resolving. This is done in an efficient and
> secure way. Caching is a secondary thing. Forwarding was introduced
> only for some rare cases (firewall setups etc.). The initial dnscache
> code even didn't contain forwarding possibilities.
> So you don't use the core function of dnscache. Maybe you confuse
> forwarding with resolving?

Ummm. I don't know. I thought in my type of setup that its doing both. I thought that
when
forwarding it was more or less acting like a proxy on behalf of the clients that point
to it.

> > When I rebooted "svscan" didn't start at boot which I find a little
> > strange so I guess I need to add this to the default runlevel with
> > the "rc-update add svscan default".  Sorry for the rant.
>
> This info is displayed when emerging daemontools, I think. But I may
> be wrong here.

What info??

> > I followed this doc and this works exactly as I envisioned wanting
> > it too....
> > http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-cache-x-home.html
>
> Maybe this worked in an older ebuild, the actual one contains the
> fwdzone patch. Are you sure, that forwarding works? Are you sure you
> used the ebuild and didn't build from source by hand? Remember that my
> first comment was about the ebuild.

Yes this is the latest stable ebuild that came with the patch. I didn't know that the
patch was
included at first until you told me where to look. I suppose if I had been watching
the emerge
compile process at the time of compilation then I would've noticed.

Forwarding must work because I have two internal clients that are soley pointing their
dns
resolvers at my server that is running the forwarding cache at 192.168.1.1. They get
dns
resolution so I would have to assume that this is working correctly.... NO??

Thanks for the response Frank. You've been very helpful.

Joshua Banks