Joshua Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where are you getting this info??

The info about the changes was from the README of the patch that
changes the dnscache behaviour.
(/usr/portage/distfiles/djbdns-1.04-fwdzone.patch)

> I have a forwarding cache setup right now and it works like a charm.
> It talks to one up stream dns server at the isp and works fine.

The point is not *if* it works, but what consequences this
introduces. See below.

Forwarding may be necessary if your internet connection is slow, but
even then I prefer to avoid forwarding. If you have a slow connection,
dnscache will be a bit slow after startup but later it will typically
have much of the requested information in its cache. Also a computer
behind a slow connection normally does not use DNS heavily, so it will
not add that much to bandwith use.

> And why would someone not want to use forwarding? You made the
> comment that forwarding isn't reccomended but don't say why.

If you use forwarding you solely rely on the recursive dns server that
you forward to. You rely on:
- that it is available at all
- that it does resolving correctly (not always given)
- that its administrators respect your privacy and don't analyze your
  request patterns
- that nobody plays cache tricks to get more information about you

> But in my case I think this is just forwarding the client dns
> request's like normal.

Your dnscache gets the client requests, they are forwarded to your
forward server that does the resolving. The answer is the cached by
your dnscache and given to the client.
There is one step too much here, isn't it?

> Maybe your talking about TinyDns?? NO..??

No.

> I installed "djbdns" strictly for the ability to act as a caching
> server as well as a dns forwarding agent that the other pc's point
> to when making dns requests.

dnscache's primary task is resolving. This is done in an efficient and
secure way. Caching is a secondary thing. Forwarding was introduced
only for some rare cases (firewall setups etc.). The initial dnscache
code even didn't contain forwarding possibilities.
So you don't use the core function of dnscache. Maybe you confuse
forwarding with resolving?

> When I rebooted "svscan" didn't start at boot which I find a little
> strange so I guess I need to add this to the default runlevel with
> the "rc-update add svscan default".  Sorry for the rant.

This info is displayed when emerging daemontools, I think. But I may
be wrong here.

> I followed this doc and this works exactly as I envisioned wanting
> it too....
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-cache-x-home.html

Maybe this worked in an older ebuild, the actual one contains the
fwdzone patch. Are you sure, that forwarding works? Are you sure you
used the ebuild and didn't build from source by hand? Remember that my
first comment was about the ebuild.

Regards, Frank