dont bother run a firewall, just look around what services you run, if
you open ports to all your services the firewall only takes cpu, you
could use nmap, a port scanner to see open ports, and be sure to run the
latest version of the daemons, to keep secure, for example, i run
pureftpd, its a fairly secure ftp daemon, and the newest openssh and
apache2 should be secure too, so i dont have a firewall for that, but
then i installed nfsd, which is known to be "not so secure", so now i
run iptables blocking for everything exept ftp, ssh and apache from
outside, and from LAN i have everything open.

--
Regards, Redeeman