I have seen a system misconfigured and people dumped gigabytes of warez
on it.  I regularly hear of systems compromised (no firewall!).  None of
the systems I have, or know that have been properly firewalled have been
cracked.

Its called layered protection - balance the fact that I have seen
non-firewalled systems in trouble, but have never experienced a firewall
causing a problem.  I would temper the advice though: go with a
recognised firewall script (monmotha, shorewall etc) and not a home-brew
unless you rate as expert, and while a firewall will help with many
misconfigurations, it still not idiot proof.

BillK