> > Out of curiosity, is this working script on a different partition than
> > the one giving you errors? Might the latter partition be mounted noexec?
> > Your error matches the one I get every time I try to execute a script in
> > /tmp, as I often forget that I have that partition mounted noexec.
> >
> > -Eamon
>
> Yes, /tmp is mounted noexec but /var is not. To be sure I remounted /tmp
> without nosuid and noexec.

I think I got closer to the problem but still don't know what it is
exactly. I copied the hello script:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Hello World"

to /var/tmp/portage/bash-2.05b-r8/work/bash-2.05b and ./hello says

bash: ./hello: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

In fstab /var is mounted:

/dev/hda9  /var  ext3  noatime,nodev,usrquota,users  0 0

Michael