On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:17:56AM -0800, Adam Scriven wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:31:06AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > On Friday 28 November 2003 02:01, Adam Scriven wrote:
> > > Maybe I'm not clear on how it's supposed to work?  How I'd like it to run
> > > is, it runs in english except when you're inputting different languages (by
> > > typing shift-space to toggle), or unless a webpage/document is coded in
> > > korean (you'd still need to toggle to korean to input, but it should
> > > display in it's native language).
> >
> > How you'd like it to run is how I'm running my system for Japanese now. The
> > input of Korean is almost there. The display of Korean is a different story.
> > For that you'll have to set Mozilla to auto-detect the encoding and make sure
> > the fonts configured for that/those encoding(s) include Korean characters.
>
> OK, Input is working for some things (GAIM, XChat).  It's not working for
> Mozilla (Firebird, BTW), hitting shift-space just gives me a space.  Still
> just getting blank squares in OpenOffice too.

Ah, I think I figured out why Mozilla's not working either.
It works for sites like Korea.net, but not for the AMI webpage
(http://www.kr.freebsd.org/~hwang/ami/), but the AMI webpage doesn't have the
language set to Korean, it just uses high-ascii characters.
So it seems like, at least for display, mozilla is working for properly-encoded
pages.  I forced the character encoding to Korean, and it displayed just fine!
Sorry for the extraneous questions, but maybe it'll help someone else who's
having similar problems to not make an ass of themselves. *lol*

> I wonder if anyone else on the list has had problems like this, and gotten
> it working?  I can't be the only person to try and get English/Korean working
> in a non-KDE desktop, can I?
>
> Thanks for all your help getting the input working Jason, it's almost there.
> Hopefully we can get the rest working.  Anyone else wanna jump in and lend
> a hand?

I'm also wondering about recommendations for multi-lingual, X-windows e-mail
programs, something my wife can use to send/receive english and korean e-mail.
I'll keep using Mutt for my english-only needs.

Thanks again!
Adam