That's why I suspect hardware problems.   I have two shuttle machines &
love them (pyhsically small, quiet, reliable, etc.).  Have you tried
backing off the clock?  What exactly are the circumstances of reboot
failure?  Has the machine been running (that is, is it warm) or has it
been off for a while and just been restarted?  Does it always reliably
boot off CDROM but fails to boot off hard disk?