On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Paul Grenyer wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I'm a Linux-Desktop newbie, but i can only say that i've installed
> > Gentoo on my ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe (NForce 2) without any problem.
> > The network interface has been detected from the first boot on,
> > audio works fine (so far), but i'm not using RAID and/or
> > Serial-ATA harddisks yet.
>
> That's interesting. my NIC isn't being detected at boot. I tried net-setup,
> but that didn't detect it either.
>
> I've just had a look on the Gentoo website with the intention of downloading
> the 2CD LiveCD, but there only appears to be version 1.4 and I was hoping to
> get the equivalent 2CD set to the single LiveCD with the 2.6 kernel as that
> boots on my system.
>
> Even if I could get my NIC working my ISP (pipex) are so unreliable that the
> connection would get dropped during the install.
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Should I download the 2CD LiveCD for my Athalon
> XP and see if it works, or am I better waiting for a release with the 2.6
> Kernel?
>
> Regards
> Paul
>
> Paul Grenyer
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
>
> Please note my change of email address!

Hi,

See my other post on this subject, you can just try
modprobe nvnet

and if the module is not present on the CD,

emerge nforce-net

it would help if you have the sources present - get them from
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.tar.gz

prior to installing.

According to Nvidia this driver doesn't work on 2.6 (I tried it - it
didn't compile), so afaik you'd better use 2.4.

Elton