On Tuesday 09 December 2003 18:35, collins wrote:
> <rant>
>
> There are so many posting threads that read:
>
> Q. What do I do for <pick in a problem>
> A. You need to emerge <pick in a package> again
> Q. Why didn't it get emerged properly the first time?
> A. ??????
>
> Why in blazes is it necessary to re-emerge packages?  I almost never see
> this problem on my system.  Is there a common problem here and thus a
> common solution?  What is the rest of the story?
>
> I can understand when the USE variables must be changed, but why are
> there so many recommendations to re-emerge without any obvious changes?
>
> </rant>

Well, maybe it emerged just fine the first time and got screwed later, who
knows. I've seen this happening on a server at my university but it was a
SuSE server. On the other hand, I've never seen this on my system. But then
again, I am pretty conservative with my make.conf settings and do nothing as
root except etc-update and occasional debugging. Everything else is done with
sudo since I very rarely change anything here.

Cheers,
Renat