Hi,
   If I emerge a 2.6.1 kernel, but then compile it with sound support but do
NOT enable any Alsa options, will emerge believe I have Alsa installed?

   I NEED to upgrade Alsa and run with 2.6.1. I caught a post on a different
list where someone said they did this on a non-Gentoo system. It would seem
to me that portage/emerge doesn't keep track of what options I enable in the
kernel, so as long as I build Alsa on the side using the newest CVS and run
it with my non-Alsa Gentoo 2.6.1 kernel it should work.

   Does anyone see any problems?

   Do I need to emerge anything else to make this work?

Thanks in advance,
Mark