On 16:08 Wed 04 Feb     , Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    If I emerge a 2.6.1 kernel, but then compile it with sound support but do
> NOT enable any Alsa options, will emerge believe I have Alsa installed?
>
>    I NEED to upgrade Alsa and run with 2.6.1. I caught a post on a different
> list where someone said they did this on a non-Gentoo system. It would seem
> to me that portage/emerge doesn't keep track of what options I enable in the
> kernel, so as long as I build Alsa on the side using the newest CVS and run
> it with my non-Alsa Gentoo 2.6.1 kernel it should work.
>
>    Does anyone see any problems?
>
>    Do I need to emerge anything else to make this work?

You can either compile ALSA into the kernel or as a module with
2.6.1. I compiled it into the kernel and it works fine.

According to tappas at #alsa, compiling it as a module gives more
flexibility and makes it easier to troubleshoot.

I believe you will need to emerge alsa-utils to get the
/etc/modules.d/alsa file which you will need to config. You need to
load the module, of course.

--
Bill Roberts