On 16:45 Wed 04 Feb     , Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:27, Bill Roberts wrote:
> > You can either compile ALSA into the kernel or as a module with
> > 2.6.1. I compiled it into the kernel and it works fine.
> >
> > According to tappas at #alsa, compiling it as a module gives more
> > flexibility and makes it easier to troubleshoot.
> >
> > I believe you will need to emerge alsa-utils to get the
> > /etc/modules.d/alsa file which you will need to config. You need to
> > load the module, of course.
>
> Bill,
>    I think you've hit on the problem, at least with my limited knowledge
> of portage. I need to run the complete CVS set from the Alsa site. I
> really cannot mix the emerge for alsa-oss with the HDSP driver from CVS.
> It will just end up causing more problems than it's worth.
>
>    Is there some way that I can effect the portage database though?
> Like:
>
> emerge -i alsa-driver alsa-oss ....
>
> to make portage think everything has been installed via emerge when I've
> really done it by hand? The man page would suggest this is the use.
>
> If so, do I attach some sort of version number to the inject, like
>
> emerge -i =media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.5
>
> to trick it into leaving things alone?
>
> Just not clear...
>
> QUESTION - When will the Alsa emerges understand that we need to update
> Alsa INTO the kernel source code tree so that we can match a new Alsa
> with the version of the kernel we are running?

The ALSA drivers seem to be changing rapidly right now, so running a
module rather than compiling in the kernel can help if you are
looking for a particular version of a driver.

I haven't looked in the last week or so, but Portage has been
keeping very up-to-date on the drivers, at least if you look in the
~x86 builds. I don't know how much you'll gain by going with the
CVS.

You can inject packages using emerge, but I'm not sure I understand
the point. You can download, compile and install as you would
conventionally, and you don't have to inject or "register" with Portage. But
you may run into issues, because Gentoo may do things a little
differently.

Good Luck!!
--
Bill Roberts