On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:26, Collins Richey wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what you are driving at.  There is no "building
> alsa on the side" with the 2.6 kernels.  That is done as a part of the
> kernel configuration and compile.
>
> Maybe you know something I don't?

If I do it's the first time Collins... ;-)

Actually, I do know a bit that's related anyway. Just because a piece of
code is included in the kernel doesn't mean that it is only updated with
the release of the kernel. The 1394 stack has been included with the
kernel for a couple of years now, but I change that one all the time on
my own. In that case I just take the drivers/ieee1394 directory and blow
it away, and then replace it with the ieee1394 directory I get from
doing a CVS download of the latest 1394 code. Painless, and it works
because the 1394 code all resides in one directory. It's easy.

So, when Alsa does an update, and you can get it from CVS, then you need
to insert it into the kernel tree you are running and recompile the
kernel. Technically it's no different, but unfortunately, it's more
difficult. The placement of all of this code is still a mystery,
partially because it is spread around, and partially because there are
other, older OSS things still in there to confuse us.

So, I want to bring down the Alsa code and build it in. It shoudl work.

Another thread today on a different audio list stated that the user did
a kernel build, but chose to not use any of the Alsa that was in the
kernel. (make menuconfig and just unselect everything except sound.)

Then he did

./configure
make
make install

on the Alsa CVS code and he got new Alsa with a 2.6.2 kernel.

My question is how to handle the other parts of Alsa, like OSS?

Thanks,
Mark