From: Nick Rout [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 9:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi success story :|

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 16:12 +0100, Schafer Frank wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't nderstand why things working on LFS, Redhat 7, Aurox,
> Mandrake, Slackware and Debian don't work on Gentoo.
>
> I have (had) a working WiFi net at home. The machine I "upgraded" from

> Aurox to Gentoo wasn't a participant in this net some time.
>
> I need a driver - of course. The WiFi card is an Intel ProWireless
2200.
> I've choosen the Linux driver for this card. It worked on LFS, Slack
> and Aurox. O.K. I've built it for Gentoo too (without emerge - of
course ;).
> The firmware of the card is uploaded using hotplug. So ... ``emerge
> hotplug'' ... and the driver stops working. O.K., I've solved this.
>
> # rc-update del hotplug boot
> # emerge --unmerge hotplug
> # bunzip2 hotplug.tar.bz2
> # tar -xf hotplug.tar
> # cd hotplug
> # make
> # make install
>
> ``modprobe'' now shows, that everything works like a charm (and there
> isn't even a service started).
>
> Now I need wireless-tools. This is masked.

no it is not

>  I don't have a clue why. I
> have a working installation on LFS and (had) a  working installation
> on Aurox. I tried to install the Gentoo package using ebuild. The
> fetch told me, that the Gentoo people force everybody who needs
> wireless-tools to download and install madwifi.

no they do not.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] nick $ esearch wireless-t
[ Results for search key : wireless-t ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-wireless/wireless-tools
      Latest version available: 27
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 183 kB
      Homepage:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
cards.
      License:     GPL-2

[EMAIL PROTECTED] nick $ emerge -pf wireless-tools Calculating dependencies
...done!

ftp://linux.jetstreamgames.co.nz/dist/gentoo/distfiles/wireless_tools.27
.tar.gzhttp://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/wireless_too
ls.27.tar.gz

I don't know what drugs you or your computer have been using! perhaps
some USE flag speedball.