On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:54:19 +1300, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:27:06 -0800
> Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    We've got a nice Gentoo box that's been working pretty well for
> > about 16 months but for some reason printing continues to be sort of
> > problematic. No idea if this is a Gentoo issue or a CUPS issue. Thanks
> > in advance.
> >
> >    For whatever reason the printer will, at times, just go off line.
> > It's an Epson All-in-One printer/scanner/copier. When it's online it
> > works fine. However it goes off line at odd times and then I have to
> > ssh into the box and start it up as my dad, now in his late 70's, is
> > not administering it at all.
>
> What do you mean by "off-line" - I usually take this to mean an
> electrical disconnection by, for example, pushing the "offline" button
> on the printer. do you mean cupsd stops running or something? Do you
> mean the printer physically turns itself off?

Oh, sorry. I open CUPS manager in Mozilla (localhost:631) and look at
the printer. I'm told it's 'Stopped'. There's a button there to
'Start' the printer which I do and it starts printing whatever is in
the print queue.

> Incidentally I have a problem where my wife cannot print from her win2k
> box unless I restart hpoj [1], cupsd and samba in somewhat random order
> until it works. Very annoying. perhaps related.
>
> you haven't told us whteher your father is printing from gentoo or
> somewhere else on his lan (if he has one).

Printing from Gentoo only. I don't run Samba on this machine and the
printer isn't (or shouldn't be) shared.

> [1] hpoj isn't relevant to you, it is a service related to hp printers
> >
> >    Why do printers go off line in Linux? The last time it happened he
> > had received a warning message earlier in the day in dmesg about
> > magenta ink being low. Does CUPS/Linux automatically take a printer
> > off line for that sort of reason? Can that be changed?
> >
> >    This morning I'm seeing the following in dmesg:
> >
> > usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if
> > 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0801
> > usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
> > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
> > ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
> > usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 4
> > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if
> > 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0801
> > usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4
> > drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
> > ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
> >

> OK, how far apart are these messages, dmesg doesn't tell you, but
> /var/log/syslog | /var/log/klog may do.

Don't have either AFAICT:

gandalf log # ls
Xorg.0.log      critical    everything  lastlog   pwdfail           wtmp
Xorg.0.log.old  crond       ftpd        mail      scrollkeeper.log  xdm.log
apache2         cups        gdm         news      sshd
apcupsd.events  emerge.log  kernel      ntpd.log  telnet
gandalf log # ps aux | grep log
root      6827  0.0  0.1  1516  664 ?        Ss   Jan28   0:00 metalog
[MASTER]
root      6828  0.0  0.1  1468  536 ?        S    Jan28   0:00 metalog [KERNEL]

Looked in everything/current and saw nothing interesting. Looked in
the cups error log. Nothing there either. Don't know where metalog
puts what you might be interested in.

If I shouldn't be using metalog and there are some simple instructions
on how to change to something else I'd be happy to do that. This is
the only machine I have using that.

Thanks,
Mark