Andreas Vinsander wrote:
Philip Lawatsch wrote:

The other machines are in /etc/distcc/hosts and I cant ping / ssh to them.

Sorry, this is a typo, of course i _can_ ping / ssh to them, otherwise this would not make much sense ...

tv1 / # distcc-config --get-hosts
localhost icebear icebird

Still emerge does not use distcc to compile for instance xine-lib or bison or perl.

I'm not sure what I missed to do, perhaps someone here has a hint for me.

And, another far worse problem I have is that in my case I'm having at least 8 parallel compile jobs running on my machine which really criples it. As far as I understood if the Makefile does support parallel building I should also be able to use distcc. But it looks like all the autoconf scripts try to use gcc / g++ instead of distcc for as the compiler.

Some packages can't be built in parallel, your best bet to not cripple the localhost is the put a limit on how many jobs it should allow
Example:
distcc-config --set-hosts "localhost/2 icebear icebird"

Will limit localhost to 2 active compile jobs at a time...

Take a look at the distcc manual and the nice document Lisa has put together on the Gentoo web

I know all of that and I've already set up the distccd on the local host in this way (not via distcc_hosts but by configuring distccd on localhost). BUT, for some reason portage does _not_ use distcc at all but the "normal" gcc and this will result in -jN jobs running on localhost.

kind regards Philip