The source is available in the ${DISTDIR} directory (/var/tmp/distfiles by default, I think). If you just want the source,
emerge -f <packagename>
will get the raw source (OpenBSD's 'make fetch'). However, I haven't found the equivalent of OpenBSD's 'make patch'. It's done as part of the ebuild process, but there's no individual command. To see the exact source that you'll compile, this might be a solution:

1) add keeptemp and keepwork to your FEATURES list in /etc/make.conf (emerge removes the source files after building and installing by default)

2) emerge the package (maybe suspending or breaking the build process after ebuild patches the source)

3) inspect the patched source under ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}

hope this helps, and welcome to Gentoo
--myk

Digby Tarvin wrote:
However after going through the install process, the only sources which I
can find in an expected place are the kernel sources.

So the question is, how to I go about making sure that the sources that
my system is built from reside on my disk, and how do I find them?
I really want to be able to access the source whenever I want (it is
the only way I find to work around the often incomplete documentation on
Linux systems) not just when I have an Internet connection available.....