Thanks Myk (and everyone else that responded)..

The bit about 'keeptemp' and 'keepwork' in /etc/make.conf sounds like
the clue I was looking for. I'll have to see if it can be configured to
keep a nice logical source tree similar to what I was used to under
/usr/src so that my souces are always readily browsable without having
to unpack archives and apply patches...

For what it is worth, the way I prefer to work, and the way I used
to work with my BSD system when installing stuff that wasn't part of
the BSDI maintained source tree was to keep a copy of the original
tarball in
        /usr/local/src/DIST/<packagename>.tar.gz
and keep the uppacked and (where necessary) customised code in
        /usr/local/src/<packagename>
with a 'Readme.digbyt' describing everything that I had to do to
get it running (ideally just ./configure;make;make install), with
the installation always going in
        /usr/local/bin,/usr/local/lib,/usr/local/man etc...
By creating a 'local' group, nearly everything could be installed
without root priveledge.

Regards,
DigbyT

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com