> We can't make Linux "better" and "ready for the desktop"-- which does
> *not* mean we have to do everything via a GUI, dagnabit; people can
> certainly use the command-line comfortably *if they know how*-- unless
> we identify where people are falling over it and how to remove the
> obstacles to their understanding and ease-of-use. Difficulties using
> error output effectively looks like an obstacle to ease-of-use to me.
> Heaven knows I won't know what to do about it if I do find an "answer"
> (or the beginnings of one), unless that answer is "add to the docs", but
> we all contribute what we can, and asking the question in the first
> place is what I can :-) .

Unfortunately, Holly, I don't think linux will be ready for the desktop for
quite awhile (yes, that does make me sad).

Because of the wide use of windows any replacement OS (be it linux, bsd,
macosx, or whatever) would have to function in a similar way before it would
be accepted.  The following would be a base set of requirements for such a
replacement:

1.  Boot totally into a gui - no startup output.  Those messages are great
for someone trying to diagnose an issue, but are just confusing to some and
unnecessary to most, which is why windows boots to gui and totally hides
this kind of information.

2.  Totally configurable via gui - no low-level file editing.  As power
users this is something that we want/need, but the windows user expects to
pull up a dialog for the program and click checkboxes to turn things on and
off.  I can just imagine the dialogs necessary to configure something like
postfix or sendmail ;-)

3.  Less service-oriented and more interactive.  Sure we run ftp servers,
web servers, mail servers, etc.  And we expect them to go off and do those
things without bothering us.  But at this point the windows user expects
visual feedback on everything - a mail icon indicating there's new mail in
outlook, blinking network light showing network activity, other tray icons
with menus allowing you to get to the background 'services' right away.

4.  Self-updating.  M$ has been pretty poor in this respect but they are
actively working on it and getting better.  My windows box downloads updates
automatically, installs them with a nice progress bar (and not a lot of
detail), and either a) handles whatever is necessary to get the new updates
used or b) asks me to reboot for the changes to take effect.  The whole
process is totally brain-dead, and that's what the average windows user is
going to expect.

I think all of these things would have to come to pass before linux would
make it on the desktop, and I'm not sure I believe they will ever happen.
Nobody wants to take linux in the direction of windows (thankfully), and
since most of the linux developers are power-users they have no reason to
want or include this kind of brain-dead junk in their software.